Valentine’s Day: Not Just a Romantic Holiday

Over the years, I have developed a tender affection for Valentine’s Day.  As a child, this day was marked by the painstaking effort of producing valentines for my fellow classmates, accompanied by the fear of rejection that would come if there were no reciprocal valentines in my own poorly decorated box.  (Back in my day, it was not mandatory to give every classmate a valentine; you could pick and choose who to give them to.) In my college years, I[Read more]

Praying for Peace in the Midst of Pain

crackled heart

Crohn’s Yesterday, we found out that our son has Crohn’s disease.  He’s 10 years old.  Too young to face a life sentence, which is essentially what Crohn’s is:  an incurable auto-immune disease which attacks the good bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, causing chronic inflammation.  During his colonoscopy, his small intestine was so inflamed that the doctor couldn’t even get the tiny scope inside to see, so Phinehas will have to have an MRI next week to find out the full[Read more]

“Sharing is Caring”

offering bunch of grapes

You may have seen this quote at the end of a blog post, by the social media sharing icons.  If you came to my house, you’d hear it recited among my children as they try to weasel a toy from an unwilling sibling.  In truth, though, sharing is an expression of caring for others, and the passage in Acts 2:42-45 is the purest example of true community that I have found. They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to[Read more]

What Empowers True Community?

women in prayer

Pray for one another. (James 5:16) “My family is coming into town, and they insist on staying with us, even though we don’t have enough room and we really don’t get along very well.  I am stressed out about their visit; I don’t know how I’ll make it for a whole week with them in my home.” “Wow, that sounds like a tough situation.  I’ll be praying for you.“ Sound familiar?  We’ve all said it, but have we really done[Read more]

True Community Celebrates the Success of Others

hot air balloons community

“Rejoice with those who rejoice.” (Romans 12:15) Have you ever outwardly congratulated a friend on her accomplishment while inwardly wishing it could have been you instead of her?  Have you ever felt like giving up on your dream after seeing another person fulfill it first- and better? Have you ever been so focused on your own success that you missed the opportunity to help a friend achieve her goal?  Regrettably, I have experienced all three scenarios, and each one left[Read more]

How Do We Carry Each Others’ Burdens?

“Carry each other’s burdens.” (Galatians 6:2) We All Carry A Burden If you are human, you have a burden.  Are you in a relationship where you feel obligated to deliver or perform for approval or acceptance?  That’s a burden.  Do you have credit card debt?  That’s a burden.  Do you bear the weight of poor decisions made in your past which prevent you from experiencing joy or peace today?  That is a burden.  Are you weary from the day to[Read more]

What is True Community?

true community people on mountain

In preparation for this month’s theme of Community, I looked up the definition to solidify my position, and I came up wanting. Community: a unified body of individuals; society at large; joint participation, common character, social activity, social state or condition.  Blech. So, I made up with my own definition. Community: Carrying each other’s burdens (Galatians 6:2) Bearing each others hurts, tears, pain (Romans 12:15) Rejoicing with each other without jealousy, resentment, or self-defeat (Romans 12:15) Spurring each other on[Read more]

McMuffin or StudMuffin: The Choice is Yours

mcdonalds-all day breakfast menu

Today, McDonald’s unfolds a new initiative: the All Day Breakfast Menu.  Now, by popular demand, their 27 million daily U.S. customers can enjoy many of their trans fat laden, high sodium and syrup infused breakfast delights any time of the day.  I will not be one of them. THE LINE Each morning when I leave my local gym,  I see the same thing: the line.  At 6:15am, the McDonald’s drive-thru line reaches around the building. Every. Day.  My heart sinks[Read more]

Book Review: The Brainy Bunch (with my reflections on public vs home schooling)

Our local Family Christian bookstore is closing next month, and everything is 50% off, so I took the kids there last week in search of a couple of children’s bibles.  That search proved fruitless, but I did stumble upon a fascinating book that I was so tempted to buy, called The Brainy Bunch: The Harding Family’s Method to College Ready by Age Twelve by Kip and Mona Lisa Harding. I reluctantly left it on the shelf, with hopes that our[Read more]

The KonMari Method: Tidying My Clothes and Accessories

Earlier this week, I shared some of the work I had done with regard to “tidying,” inspired by the book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo.  Today, I’d like to show you some of my progress.  I spent the morning learning how to fold the KonMari way by watching several YouTube videos and practicing with both my children’s and my clothes. My girls were especially interested, joining me in the folding lessons.  It was so cute to[Read more]